G. Shanmugan Honored
On October 28, 2020, Springer Journal of Palaeogeography (JoP) has announced the top journalism award to G. Shanmugam (’78) for his papers published in JoP during the 2012-2018 award period. The award, which carries a prize money of RMB30,000 (Chinese Yuan), is based on the Science Citation Index (SCI) of the following five papers and their SCI ranking:
1. Shanmugam, G., 2016. Submarine fans: a critical retrospective (1950_2015). 5(2): 110–184.
2. Shanmugam, G., 2015. The landslide problem. 4(2): 109–166.
3. Shanmugam, G., 2016. The seismite problem. 5(4): 318–362.
4. Shanmugam, G., 2017. Global case studies of soft-sediment deformation structures (SSDS): definitions, classifications, advances, origins, and problems. 6(4): 251–320.
5. Shanmugam, G., 2018. The hyperpycnite problem. 7(3): 197–238.
Additionally, Shanmugam published a book by Elsevier in 2020: Mass transport, gravity flows, and bottom currents: Downslope and alongslope processes and deposits.
The book provides clear definitions and characteristics based on soil mechanics, fluid mechanics, and sediment concentration by volume. Learn More