Md. Iftekhar Alam
Post-Doctoral Teaching Associate
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
626 Strong Hall
1621 Cumberland Ave
Knoxville, TN 37996-1410
Phone: (865) 974-3665
My research interests primarily involve subsurface characterization using various geophysical tools. A large part of this include determining physical and mechanical properties of the medium using seismic inversion. I have been working on determining physical and mechanical properties of near surface material and its implications to environmental and engineering Geology. Along with seismic modeling, I have also been using non-seismic approaches such as Electrical Resistivity (ER) and Electromagnetic (EM) techniques for environmental site characterization.
Ph.D. (2016), Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Dissertation: Near Surface Characterization Using P- and S-wave Tomography.
Adviser: Dr. Priyank Jaiswal
M.S. (2011), Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- Thesis: Petrofacies and Paleotectonic Evolution of Permo-Carboniferous Gondwanan Sequences of Bengal Basin, BangladeshAdviser: Dr. Ashraf Uddin
M.S. (2009), University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Thesis: Structural Evolution for Hydrocarbon Trapping of the Sitakund Anticline of Bengal Basin: Constraints from Gravity, Seismic and Well Data.
Adviser: Dr. Aftab Alam Khan
- Alam, M. I., 2019, Near-surface characterization using traveltime and full-waveform inversion with vertical and horizontal component seismic data, Interpretation, v. 7, no. 1, pp. T141-T154 (doi:10.1190/int-2018-0132.1).
- Alam, M. I., and Jaiswal, P., 2017, Near Surface Characterization Using VP/VS and Poisson’s Ratio from Seismic Refractions: Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, v. 22, no. 2, pp. 101-109 (doi:org/10.2113/JEEG22.2.101).
- Alam, M.I., Uddin, A., and Hames, E.W., accepted with minor revision, Detrital History of the Eastern Gondwanaland: Petrofacies and Detrital Geochronology of the Permo-Carboniferous Intracratonic Sequences of the Northwest Bengal Basin: The Journal of Sedimentary Research.
Selected Expanded Abstracts
- Alam, M. I., Piwonka, W., Atkins, J., and Panzik, J., 2019, Applicability of combined GPR and
Gradiometer to detect buried shallow targets for near surface investigations: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2019, p. 2878-2882. https://doi.org/10.1190/segam2019-3215352.1
- Alam, M. I., Katumwehe, A., Leseane, K., Al-Hadhrami, F., Briand, B., Morse, D., and Atekwana, E.,
2018, Imaging landfill leachate plume boundaries using electrical-resistivity inversion, spontaneous potential, EM 34 and Geochemical Analysis: A case study on Norman Landfill: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2015, p. 2818-2822. doi:10.1190/segam2018-2998496.1
- Alam, M.I., Jaiswal, P., 2015, Near Surface Seismic Imaging with P- and SH-wave full waveform inversion: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2015, p. 2318-2322.